We were inspired to make our own beer battered onion rings after our high-tea date at Star Inn the City.
Turns out it is really simple to make!!! We’re never going to buy them again!!! One of the first side dishes we made since our return to Singapore and we ended up making 3 batches in 2 days!! Repeated requests made from our loved ones 🙂
So here’s how you make beer battered onion rings!!! All ingredients can be easily found in a NTUC or Cold Storage.
2 Large Yellow Onions
200g plain flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp chilli powder/cayenne pepper/paprika powder (We used chilli powder. that was what we have at home)
1 regular can lager beer (We used tiger beer)
50g plain flour
- Cut your onions into rings, set aside. (shown in picture)
- In a bowl, whisk 200g plain flour with all the seasonings.
- Whisk in the beer until you get a smooth batter. Let rest 10mins.
- In a large container, put 50g of plain flour and your onion rings. Cover the container and shake until the onion rings are coated in flour. (you can coat your onion rings individually on a plate but we just thought this method was easier and faster.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep frying pan.
- Dip your floured onion rings in the beer batter and deep fry until golden brown.