We discovered the wonders of kale chips when one of our friends posted about it on facebook. Being curious health foodies, we immediately jumped into searching the web to get kale in UK. Here’s a link on the benefits of eating kale. It is healthy and really simple to make!! 3 mins in the microwave and voila!! Chips!!
When we first made it, we were skeptic about the taste (who wouldn’t, vegetable chips anyone??). Also, we have never seen kale before. Since it is a crop that likes the frost, Singapore doesn’t have them.
Verdict: It tasted really good and crispy too!! you can season it with anything you like once it’s out of the microwave. We seasoned ours with Japanese rice seasoning. Now, making kale chips is a weekly affair for us. Healthy snacking 🙂
In this recipe, we use Lacinato Kale (also known as Dinosaur kale, tuscan cabbage, Cavolo nero). We bought ours from tesco under the name cavolo nero. Also, we managed to find some from the market in York city center. Only one store (Opens fri – sat) sells it though and the leaves ain’t as big as the ones from tesco. We have seen recipes that use curly kale(usually baked hence takes longer) to make these chips but lacinato kale is still our preferred choice. Also, curly kale is slightly more bitter. Maybe we will try using curly kale next time.
Japanese Rice Seasoning (Optional)
- Rinse the kale. Then use a paper towel the dry it as best as you can (tip for making the kale crispy).
- If you see the picture above, there is an obvious rib that runs along the center of the leave. Use a scissors, remove the entire rib and cut the leaves into smaller sections.
- In a bowl, place the kale and add a dash of olive oil. Mix well.
- Lay the kale on a microwave safe plate in a single layer (See picture). Sprinkle some sea salt.
- Microwave on high for 3mins. (If it is not crispy, pop it back in the microwave more a few more seconds)
- Toss your chips with some seasoning and store in an air tight container.