Ashley isn’t a fan of beansprouts but has taken a liking to korean soy beansprouts. Since we couldn’t find any in the UK, we grew them on our own in the comfort of our own room!! It’s easy!!
The beansprout takes 5 days to grow without soil!! Clearly it’s clean, green and healthy!!! We used them mainly in soups or stir fry. Trust us it taste very different to regular beansprouts.
The type of growing soy beans we used are the small round ones that should be available in organic stores. We bought ours from the nut specialist store in the city center in York, UK. We have seen them at a local wet market at central Pasir Ris in Singapore. It’s about S$3 for a 500g bag of beans.
Soy beans, colander and mixing bowl we used.
What you need:
1 cup soy beans
A decent size plastic colandar
A Large mixing bowl
2 large kitchen towels (dark coloured)
- In a bowl, soak the beans for 24 hours. Ensure that all the beans are submerged. Cover the bowl with the kitchen towels.
- Rinse the beans twice and remove any broken or rotten beans.
- Transfer the beans to the colander and put it in the large mixing bowl.
- Water every 3 – 4 hours for the next 4 days. ( if the colander touches the bottom of the mixing bowl, place a small bowl beneath it so that it’s raised).
- Harvest!! Remove the beans from the colander. Snip off the roots and remove soy bean skin. Discard those that are rotten.